The Hindenburg catastrophe occurred on 6 May, 1937. The cause of the fire remains unknown, though there are multiple theories. Surprisingly, only 36 people perished in the disaster, one of them a ground crewman. The loss of the Hindenburg caused a decline in public interest in airship travel. What would have happened if the Hindenburg had not been lost? Maybe zeppelins would have remained popular. Also the band Led Zeppelin would have had to come up with a different photo for their debut album's cover. Personally, I'd like to fly on an airship some day. But I'm eccentric like that.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Chronomentrophobia Thoughts from the White Board - Nov 5

Chronomentrophobia - an unreasonable fear of clocks.  Which would be really tough if you were like millions of Americans this past weekend and got to participate in the bi-annual ritual of changing those chronometers for Daylight Savings Time.

Now I'm not going to bore you with a bunch of details about the history of Daylight Savings Time or why we do it or why we shouldn't do it, or stuff like that.  I'm just going to get along with the Thoughts and then call it a day.  I need to get to studying math.  Got a test coming up that I need to do well on if I'm going to get into Math 1010 this spring.  And I'm no good at math, so...  gotta study.



I don't mind going back to daylight saving time. With inflation, the hour will be the only thing I've saved all year. - Victor Borge

I object to being told that I am saving daylight when my reason tells me that I am doing nothing of the kind. I even object to the implication that I am wasting something valuable if I stay in bed after the sun has risen. As an admirer of moonlight I resent the bossy insistence of those who want to reduce my time for enjoying it. At the back of the Daylight Saving scheme I detect the bony, blue-fingered hand of Puritanism, eager to push people into bed earlier, and get them up earlier, to make them healthy, wealthy and wise in spite of themselves. – Robertson Davies

My favorite holiday is Daylight Savings Time when we get an extra hour of sleep.


The parting comment:


Source: LolSnaps.com
Sometimes the simplest images are the best.  "Don't shoot, don't shoot!  I'll take you to the big ball of yarn and the mis-matched socks I appropriated."

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're pleased to receive your comments, but the author does check submissions before attaching them to the blog. See, it's only theoretically a free country in here...