The Hindenburg catastrophe occurred on 6 May, 1937. The cause of the fire remains unknown, though there are multiple theories. Surprisingly, only 36 people perished in the disaster, one of them a ground crewman. The loss of the Hindenburg caused a decline in public interest in airship travel. What would have happened if the Hindenburg had not been lost? Maybe zeppelins would have remained popular. Also the band Led Zeppelin would have had to come up with a different photo for their debut album's cover. Personally, I'd like to fly on an airship some day. But I'm eccentric like that.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Night Photos

Long night at work.  But I got the pleasure of coming out to lots of snow.  I love nights like these, when there is fresh snow on everything and the world is kinda beautiful.

So when I got home, I took some pictures.  Set the camera to longer exposure, black and white and no flash.  And now I upload those images to the blog as I sit here watching the Simpsons episode where Homer and Mr. Burns get trapped in a cabin after an avalanche and they nearly kill each other.  Funny.

Bad quality from YouTube, but better than nothing.  And you get the point.  So there is that.


And then here's those photos I mentioned.  They are dark because - well, I took them in the dark.  Thus the name of this post.  Night photos.  Cool, yeah?


The parting comment:

Source: LolSnaps.com
It started off simply enough.  We wanted to make a snowman in the front yard.  Something for the tourists to gawk at.  Something to express local civic pride.  Something to throw old bottles at when we were felling low.  But then things went awry.  And the next thing we knew, we'd built the snowman two stories high, and it was looking in the bedroom window.  My Aunt Betty came into the room and saw the snowman looking in at her and screamed.  We had to give her something blue from the medicine cabinet to calm her down.  But a few minutes later, she wandered back into that upstairs room again, and the dilemma started all over again afresh.  The moral of the story is that snow should be used only for hiding truancy slips from school and maybe as a last-ditch form of national defense, but never for creating a sixteen foot tall snowman...

3 comments:

  1. Ummm....are you sure these are of the outdoors? I can get the same effect from my closet! :) mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Nicole wrote (via Facebook): hahaha that was the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dark pictures are easier to see if you look at them from a bit of an angle. I know they are dark. The post's name is "night photos," not pictures taken with a flash in the dark (haha). It was the closest I could get to showing you what I saw that night. It was a really beautiful sight at 5 AM. That was the point, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

We're pleased to receive your comments, but the author does check submissions before attaching them to the blog. See, it's only theoretically a free country in here...